Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Writing Court Community Service Letter

Muddy Water (continued again ...)

Diagnosis my cloudy water was slow but it now seems certain: this is a unicellular algae, a problem commonly called "green water".

retrospect, this seems so obvious that I wonder how I could hesitate.
In fact, water has never seemed truly "green" yellow to start with peat, then white after the action of coal. Only by looking a little tank water in the light of day (ie only a weekend at this time) I saw the famous reflection green.
The photo illustrating this phenomenon on the page devoted to algae the excellent site of Veronica definitely convinced me, highlighting a real pea soup, as my home.

remained two fundamental questions: Why this proliferation and how to get rid?

Why? For now, I lean to the addition of T5 54W. My light is too intense compared to the vegetation of the tank and the current general equilibrium. I will reduce the ignition time and see how it goes. How do

rid? Black, daphnia or UV. More massive water changes and fine filtration (JBL SymecMicro ) to remove the "corpses" of algae.

I started with the easiest way and least expensive: off lighting and blankets on the aquarium for a few days of complete darkness.


07/11/2004: 9 weeks after the impoundment.

09/11/2004: after two days of carbon filtration.

14/11/2004: full black

17/11/2004: a notable achievement

The result is visible after two days and a half: the fog has turned into a light mist. But difficult to continue any longer without risking damage plants or disturb my scales.

Treatment with Daphnia requires removing the fish, if the feast is a feast of algae daphnids. I'll try to cobble together a system that would protect these good workers (with a bottle and a sock filter) to see what it gives, even though this may diminish its effectiveness.

Remain UV appear to have a radical effect (see this thread on ForumAqua ). But for now I hate to buy a UV lamp to use it a few days. A follow

yet ...

PS: Thanks to Peter who guided me well on this problem and Nico offering me a plan for a loan of UV lamp.

whole story:
- J + 9 weeks! cloudy water!
- Muddy Water (continued)
- Muddy Water (continued again ...)
- Muddy Water: end!

0 comments:

Post a Comment